View The Property
The applicant will need to arrange to view the property with one of our team. We will conduct the viewing and answer any questions using our knowledge and expertise of the property and the local area.
On deciding to rent a property, the applicant will need to agree a tenancy start date, monthly rent, who will be living in the property and any other special terms that the applicant, the landlord or we may require.
The applicant will be advised to reserve the property and submit an application.
Submit Photo ID
All applicants are required to provide photo ID to prove their right to rent in the UK under the Immigration Act. All applicants must produce in person their EU or EEA passport or a valid visa granting the right to reside in the UK.
Please arrange a suitable time before the tenancy start date to attend our office to present the ID.
For further information on acceptable forms of ID please refer to the Right to Rent Guide.
In order to recommend an applicant to the landlord, The Bristol Residential Letting Co will need to carry out detailed referencing checks on all applicants over 18 years old.
We will assess landlord, employment & credit referencing:
- The applicant will be required to have a positive reference from a previous/current landlord or demonstrate that they are a current home owner.
- The applicant will need to demonstrate that they are in full time permanent employment and in a position to pass the affordability criteria for the particular property they are applying for. If the applicant is due to commence new employment or are within an employment probationary period it is likely that they will need to provide a guarantor.
- Self employed applicants will need to provide 3 years of business accounts or provide an accountant reference to prove a track record of affordability.
- All applicants applying to rent a property will be credit checked which they must pass.
- Should an applicant not meet the required criteria, there may be a possibility, with permission from the landlord, for the applicant to pay rent in advance for the fixed term of the tenancy. This will depend on the individual circumstances.
Important point to note: We will keep the applicant informed on our progress with referencing until all references are satisfied. Whilst The Bristol Residential Letting Co will do everything possible to complete an acceptable reference, we retain the right to turn down an application.
Funds due before check in
The applicant will receive a tenant information pack shortly after applying to rent a property. This will include frequently asked questions, draft tenancy agreement, and the invoice for initial funds. Initial funds are payable prior to check in and include:
- The first instalment of rent. This may be the first month or 6 months if the applicant is paying a lump sum of rent in advance
- A 6 week damage deposit. We will register this with a tenancy deposit scheme in accordance with The Housing Act 2004. A larger deposit may be required for circumstances such as where a pet is permitted in the property.
- Our fee of 50% (inc vat) of 1 months rent (minimum £350). This includes but is not limited to referencing, legal documentation and general administration. Guarantors will be charged at £50 (inc vat)
- Utility charges: Where water rates or heating & hot water are billed direct to the Landlord, the applicant will pay an agreed fixed monthly sum on top of the rent. This will usually apply to apartment complexes. The applicant will be made aware of exact figures after viewing and expressing interest in the property.
Important point to note: A full schedule of our fees can be found here
Pay a Reservation Fee
The Bristol Residential Letting Co will continue to conduct viewings and accept offers on a property until a reservation fee is paid. When cleared funds are received, we will mark the property as ‘let agreed’ or remove it from the market.
The applicant will pay the equivalent of 1 months’ rent as a non-refundable reservation fee. These funds will be deducted from the total due before moving into the property.
- Important point to note: We will reserve the right to remarket the property and withhold the reservation fee if application forms and ID are not received with 24 hours of paying the reservation fee. Please advise us if there will be any delay. The only reason a reservation fee would be refunded to the applicant is if the Landlord immediately turned down the applicant or the Landlord subsequently withdrew the property from the market. Should an applicant withdraw from taking a property, or fail referencing the reservation fee will be used to cover the referencing procedure, the agents administration costs and the Landlords lost rental income
To reserve a property, please make the payment now by following this link:
Submit tenant application form
Each person over the age of 18 who will live in the property is required to complete an application form within 24 hours of reserving a property. Failure to do this will lead to the property being placed back on the market and the reservation fee being forfeited.
The information an applicant provides on the application form will be used to complete the referencing. Any false information given is likely to result in a tenancy application being turned down. If the applicant has any questions regarding this they can contact the member of our team who conducted the viewing.
Checking in to the property
Further details on the process of moving into the property can be found by clicking below.